Cake for breakfast? Yes, please!!! This breakfast cake made with PANCAKE mix will blow your mind. Topped with strawberry compote, yogurt and whipped cream frosting and fresh strawberries, you will never feel guilty about having cake for breakfast. Ever!
It all began a couple of days ago, when the kids asked for cake and I didn’t have all the ingredients to make one. After looking in the pantry trying to come up with something, I spotted a box of pancake mix and I thought I’d give a shot. After all, there is cake in panCAKE! LOL!
After doing some research and mixing up lots of pancake batter, I came up with the perfect mix using complete pancake mix. The result was a light, moist and sweet, but not too sweet cake. Just perfect for breakfast!
To keep with the “Breakfast Cake” theme, I whipped up a frosting made with plain greek yogurt and whipped cream. And let me tell you, this frosting is delicious. Fluffy, light, sweet and tangy, this will be your favorite topping for pies, cakes, and of course pancakes! And since we love berries on our pancakes, I topped the cake with homemade strawberry compote and fresh strawberries. Can you say decadent!
Pair it with a latte or a mimosa and you’ll have the perfect breakfast or brunch! So what are you wating for?! Run to your pantry, grab your box of pancake mix and start baking! I promise, this cake will wow everyone! Full recipe below for cake, strawberry compote and frosting. Happy Baking!
Breakfast Cake (Pancake Mix Cake)
2 1/2 cups complete pancake mix (I used Aunt Jemima complete mix)
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- Mix all ingredients with a mixer for about 3 minutes.
- Pour mix into a greased and floured 8 in cake pan (you should have enough batter for 2 pans).
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes (for doneness, check cake with a toothpick).
*if you notice the cake is browning too quickly, reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
4 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup orange juice ( you can also use water if you prefer)
- Heat the sugar and orange juice over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Toss in the strawberries and cook over medium heat for about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring every so often. As it cooks, use a wooden spoon or a spatula to break up the strawberries.
- Cook until it starts to thicken slightly and the fruit is soft but still in pieces.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a mason jar or container.
- Allow to cool before serving
Yogurt & Whipped Cream Frosting
2 cups of cool whip
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups Greek yogurt (plain)
1-2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and gently fold until smooth.
- That’s it! Super easy!