Are you a brunch enthusiast? Do you love French toast? Well, allow me to introduce you to your new brunch BFF! Homestyle French toast. This beautiful and easy brunch dish packs a big punch! It is served drenched in bourbon maple syrup. Trust me, this dish will wow your guests and will become one of your go to brunch dishes.
When it comes to French toast, it is all about the bread. So lets talk bread! I’ve experimented with quite a few different kinds of bread. My favorites include challah, Italian and French bread, croissants and Homestyle bread.
For today’s French toast, we’re using Homestyle bread. This bread can be found at your local grocery store’s bakery. I usually do my bread runs on Fridays. I call ahead and have them set aside a loaf for me (this bread is pretty popular and the store runs out quickly). I also asked that the bread is not sliced, that way I can cut the bread myself as thick as I want. Remember that the thicker, the better when it comes to french toast.
French toasts without syrup is like mac n’ cheese without cheese. You just got to have syrup. So let’s get our drizzle on! Time for the bourbon maple syrup, a.ka. the happy syrup.
This is not your average syrup. It will take your French toast, pancakes, and waffles to the next level. It’s Irresistible! And so easy to make. It is quite popular at our house. I even use it mixed with mustard to marinate chicken. Talk about being versatile!
Topped with whipped cream and berries and drenched with the happy syrup, this French toasts are heaven on a plate! Read below for the full recipe. Enjoy!
Homestyle French Toast
1 loaf of Homestyle bread
8 extra-large eggs
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
4 tablespoons butter
Bourbon Maple Syrup
2 cups maple syrup
6 ounces bourbon (or more if preferred)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut loaf into 8 thick slices.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla, honey, sugar, and lemon zest in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Dip slices in the egg mixture, allow to soak for 15 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack (that is sitting in a sheet pan) for 1 to 2 minutes. This will allow the excess egg mixture to drip off the bread.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 2tablespoons of butter in a large nonstick pan.
- Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices.
- Serve immediately with bourbon maple syrup, whipped cream or berries.
Bourbon Maple Syrup:
- Over low heat, add the maple syrup and bourbon to a small saucepan.
- Let it simmer and swirl the pan frequently for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool until warm and transfer to syrup dispenser or small pitcher.
- Serve warm or cool.